Thursday, February 19, 2009

Two Words (Part 1)

I wasn't planning on going to school today. I woke up with my head throbbing, and my whole back felt like it had been against ice all night long. I turned the alarm off from my phone, and decided to continue sleeping.

Then I remembered there was a test today, and it would be best to organize and catch up with some work. I told myself that if I didn't get up, I would not live up to my words in setting my priorities straight. Lately I had been missing school for those little stress here and there from either work or illness. But today I stood on my grounds, and let's just hope that it won't be the last.

When I got home, my dad asked me if i went to school. I had been struck by something once again. I thought to myself, "Damn, I really would have answered 'No' since I came so close to staying home today." I felt guilty because I had known this for a long time, that I would have just let it pass and say "Oh yeah, dad, I felt really sick this morning." But he knew that I did, and that is what brought me to the two words he said that have been hunting me all night.

DISCIPLINE and DEDICATION.
It reminded me of my drumline year, which unexpectedly turned my hate and fear into tests of patience and determination. I could have sworn I wanted to give up atleast twice during that whole year, but I didn't. When a member fell, the whole group fell. When one excelled, the rest strived for perfection. Those Indian runs, military push ups, and silent drills were like sadistic echoes in our heads that made even the quietest ones to curse under their breath. The whole story of my drumline year would have to have a separate blog, maybe the readers would further understand all the things we learned. But until then, this whole point is to remind everyone, including myself, to consider recentering your aim, and straightening your priorities. Today I made a tiny step closer,

and so should you.

1 comment: